1. severe--very bad
2. sporadic--happening off and on, happening at different and and unpredictable times
3. superior--better than others
4. disregard--to pay no attention to, to not care about
5. trap--to lock in a closed space, to do this with ideas or words
6. prone--lying flat on one's back; being inclined toward something
7. proportions--size in relation to each other, ie. propotions of a person's body
8. characteristic--trait, a way that a person or thing is
9. striking--something that catches the eye
10. predominant--having the highest quality or regard over other people or things that are similar
11. narrate--to tell a story
The woman had a severe backache that troubled her sporadically. She worked as an advertising agent and felt herself superior to
others. She showed disregard toward anyone in a service profession such
as a waitor or office assistant. When her back troubled her, she had to
lie prone, and she felt horribly trapped in that condition. Her
proportions showed the cause of her pain. She had an overly large head
and a small, thin neck. The pressure on the neck caused the back pain.
She also had a characteristic habit of walking around with her head
bent slightly forward. It was a striking characteristic; everyone
noticed. Though she was predominant in the company, few people
respected her. If she had narrated her own story, however, she might
have told it differently than I did.
Do you remember these words? Take the Online Test.