Reading Practice: Intermediate
Stories with Questions
1. This cat lives in northeast India. Today she is sunning herself on the terrace. There are many benefits to being a housecat: people give you food, people pet you, and you have shelter when it rains or gets cold.
2. Even being a housecat has dangers, though. At times has to conceal herself from neighborhood dogs. If people forget about her, she can be locked out of the house. People sometimes don't notice you when you are a small cat. That's the main problem that comes with depending on people.
3. In many parts of the world, cats do not eat cat food the way it is made in the U.S. This cat gets a daily buffet of leftovers. Did you know that many cats eat this way? For now, the cat food companies are not found everywhere!
4. This cat is very lucky. There is a nice little boy here who loves
the cat very much. He usually makes sure the cat is o.k. before night
falls, and he always makes sure that cat gets some leftovers. He even
saves a few pieces of his own food, sometimes, for the cat. That's
Answer the questions (answers are at the bottom of the page):
1. What are the benefits of being a housecat?
A. People give you food.
B. People give you shelter.
C. There are neighborhood dogs.
D. Both A and B
E. All of the above
2. How does the cat deal with dogs?
A. She growls at them.
B. She hides from them.
C. She makes friends with them.
D. She purs to get them to like her.
3. How is this cat different from cats in the U.S.?
A. She eats leftovers, and U.S. cats never eat leftovers.
B. She eats vegetables which is very strange.
C. She doesn't like fish.
D. She eats only leftovers, no cat food.
4. What does the little boy do for the cat?
A. He says "here kitty, kitty, kitty!"
B. He gives her food.
C. He usually makes sure she is o.k. at night.
D. All of the above.
E. Both B and C.
5. What does benefit mean?
A. a good quality
B. a regular thing
C. something that is there every day
D. a bad quality
6. What does depend on mean?
A. to be good to
B. to have a habit
C. to need someone
D. to go to a deep place
7. What does buffet mean?
A. a meal where there is meat and vegetables
B. a meal where there is always bread
C. a very good meal
D. a meal where there are many choices
8. What does notice mean?
A. to see and know of
B. to never know
C. to know about everything
D. to look
*** I.E. Tutoring holds the
copyright for all materials on this site. ***
Answers: 1.d, 2. b, 3. d, 4. e, 5. a, 6. c, 7. d, 8. a