Reading Practice: Intermediate
Stories with Questions
1. These are baby rabbits. They are a big rabbit family. The sister and
brother rabbits help each other as they grow up. They all have brown
fur coats with small white spots. The white spots go away as they get
2. Baby rabbits are born blind and helpless. They are so weak,
they can barely move. They use all of their muscles to feel their way
around each other and the mother rabbit. Can you imagine that? Luckily,
they are so little and new to the world, they don't know what's going
3. At first, all they want is to drink the mother rabbit's milk. Later, as they grow up, they gain sensitive
noses. They come out of the rabbit hole with their mother and watch her
sniff the air. Then they sniff too. They see if their mother likes the
smell of the air or not. Soon, they become very clever. They know one smell from another. They learn how to stay away from big animals and how to find food.
Answer the questions (answers are at the bottom of the page):
1. What happens to the white spots on the baby rabbits' fur?
A. they go away when the rabbits wash
B. they have the spots all their lives
C. they go away when the rabbits grow up
D. nothing happens to the spots
2. How are baby rabbits when they are born?
A. They get up and hop around like baby horses.
B. They are blind and weak.
C. They cannot see, but they are strong.
D. They are ready to leave the hole.
3. What do they use to feel their way around?
A. each other
B. their mother
C. the hole
D. their muscles
4. What do they gain as they get older?
A. a sense of smell
B. sensitive noses
C. understanding of smells
D. both B and C
E. none of the above
5. What does sensitive mean?
A. easily sensing or feeling
B. easily smelling things
C. easily hearing things
D. having difficulty smelling
6. What does clever mean?
D. relating to holes
7. What does weak mean?
A. not big
B. not old
C. not strong
D. not still
8. What does blind mean?
A. cannot hear
B. cannot see
C. cannot smell
D. cannot move
*** I.E. Tutoring holds the
copyright for all materials on this site. ***
Answers: 1. c, 2. b, 3. d, 4. d, 5. a, 6. b, 7. c, 8. b